ECTFE (ethylene chlorotrifluoroethylene) is a semi-crystalline polymer based on fluorine, carbon, chlorine, and ethylene that was designed to provide high corrosion resistance. It is a high thickness coating and can be processed in the molten state. It offers excellent chemical resistance at a working temperature of up to 150ºC.
- Good fire resistance
- Good electrical insulation properties. Low dissipation and dielectric constant
- Good impact resistance
- Chemical resistance like PTFE
- Wide continuous working temperature range: between -76°C and 150°C (-105F to 300F)
- As an electrostatic powder coating on metal surfaces
- Rotolining on metal surfaces
- As a coating on sheet metal or on FRP (glass fibre, carbon fibre) reinforced plastic
- For extrusion or injection moulding
- For rotational moulding of autonomous elements such as storage tanks
- As a protective film using a suitable adhesive
Halar® is Solvay's brand name for ECTFE. There are different variants such as FDA Halar for food contact, conductive Halar or basic Halar. Thanks to its properties, ECTFE is a very important coating even in the aerospace sector.